Select the link below to view our latest club news, including information on our upcoming AGM, new winter hoodies, sponsorship offers and more!
NBA FINALS 2017 BEGIN FRIDAY JUNE 2ND
Watch the NBA Finals on 25 HD Screens while enjoying our great food and drinks specials.
$1 Wings during the game
$8 Pints Coors or 3 Brats
Our club members enjoyed presentation day on Sunday 22 March 2015, with a three course lunch, face painting and trophies galore!
This year’s special club award winners are:
- Snezana Glogovac (pictured above) was the worthy recipient of the Dina Tomaselli Memorial Award for her long serving contribution to the club.
- Marianne Gusman and Voula Contin (pictured right), were joint recipients of the President’s Award for their continued contribution to work on the committee, particularly for their enthusiastic organisation of our annual presentation day.
Every player, team manager and coach received their team trophy to acknowledge their efforts in the competitions throughout the 2014-15 year.
And the day would not be complete without lots of prize winners … congratulations to all lucky winners and a big THANKS to all our wonderful sponsors.
- Mantra Hotel – Voucher for a night stay at any Mantra hotel: Kendra Di Pietro
- Buy Direct Warehouse – Maxi RV 2.5kg Fully automatic compact washer: Josephine Fabri
- Melbourne United – Party Pack: Sarah Goga
- Melbourne United – 7 Game Membership: Carmelina Camuglia
- Melbourne United – 1 Registration Rewards Program: Ethan Fowler
- Dino’s Denture Clinic – Mouth guard voucher for up to 3 players per family: Jana Abdelkin
- Dino’s Denture Clinic – Mouth guard voucher for up to 3 players per family: Rachel Borg
- Memorial Dental Clinic – Check, clean, 2 x-rays & Fluoride treatment for 1 family member: Marc Anthony Sofia
- Latrobe Golf Club – 2 x exclusive golf passes: Montana Geddes
- Latrobe Golf Club – 2 x exclusive golf passes: Jay Gusman
- Rebel Sport – $50 Voucher: Aleksandar Glogovac
- Rebel Sport – $50 Voucher: Anthony Mariani
- Rebel Sport – $50 Voucher: Ciara Salama
- Rebel Sport – $50 Voucher: Lee Palmieri
The club is always looking for sponsorship, so if anyone is approached regarding sponsorship, either financial or prize, please pass on the contact details so we can follow up leading up to next year’s presentation. You could also refer generous people to our club sponsor kit.
We had a fantastic response to our Team Manager and Coaches’ meeting on Tuesday night this week ~ 70+ turned up and some positive feedback has been received about the night ~ most people learnt at least one new thing to help in managing our club. Some of the topics covered, include:
- an update on our club financials, including how teams’ efforts contribute to the successful annual presentation day
- lots of info from Wendy Parsons, our Junior Domestic Coordinator from the Broadmeadows Basketball Association (BBA)
- covered a number of club policies – such as the Club Code of Conduct and our Team Manager and Coach duty statements
- Working with Children (WWC) Check – it is a new policy of our club that all Team Managers, Coaches and Club Committee Members undertake a WWC Check – please contact us for more information or pick up a form at your local post office, and make sure you complete the final step and link your card with the Greenvale Grizzlies Basketball Club
- the importance of sharing scoring task amongst team parents and the upcoming Scoring Clinic on 5 June – please make sure as many of your team members attend as possible – remember we have a scoring guide on this site
- reminded everyone the great resources on this website, including coach and team manager resources, such as the links on the drills, training and plays page
- reiterated the desire to have as many team members, including our children to enter your email address to sign up to this website and Like our Facebook page, to make sure we can communicate as efficiently as possible. If you have any great web content such as videos or basketball resources, we would love to add to the site. We also launched our new Social Media Policy
- fundraising – talked about the importance of our annual Chocolate Drive and outlined two other fundraising programs – the Rebel Sports program and the launch of Meant 2 Be Celebration shop – both programs benefiting you as well as bringing financial contributions coming back to the club.
- we also encouraged everyone to think about other sponsorship opportunities, such as local businesses sponsoring a team’s alternate/training tops so you don’t have to wear those smelly bibs, or supporting the administration of the club. Look out for a great new sponsorship initiative from one of our current sponsors, Madison’s Restaurant in Westmeadows.
If you need any further information, please do not hesitate in exploring our website or contacting one of the following key club contacts:
- New postal address: P.O. Box 2222, Greenvale, Vic 3059
- Girls’ registrar, Shane Gillard
- Junior boys’ registrar and uniform coordinator, Lance Corby
- Senior boys’ registrar, Val Ceddia
- President, Paul Byron or Vice-President Alf Tomaselli
- Treasurer, Robert Malcolm
- Secretary, web manager and Working with Children Check coordinator, Deb Barron
- Fundraising coordinator, Vince Cassar
A big Grizzlies thanks to everyone who attended the meeting and making it such as successful night. Don’t forget the Annual General Meeting of the club will be conducted shortly – another opportunity to contribute and support in the management of our club.
Our club held the Annual General Meeting on Wednesday 15 August at the Greenvale Recreation Centre.
We were not over run with attendees, which was a little disappointing, considering the size of the club, however those that did attend showed their passion and dedication to the club.
Annual reports from Treasurer and President were handed down as well as the election of the committee for 2012-13. Here are some highlights from Paul’s report.
Having joined the Committee back in 2005, with little money in the bank, status of financial players somewhat unknown, uniforms and costs in disarray, and 30 odd teams competing in the Broadmeadows Junior Domestic Competition, it was only the threat of the club folding that lead to my joining of the committee.
Since that time, with the help of 7 elected Committees, we have grown the club to what it is today with the past year being the most pleasing to-date.
Having struggled in years gone by to get volunteers onto the Committee, the past 12 months has seen a greater level of assistance from our members than I’ve experienced in my time with the club and as a result, things have never run so smoothly.
Paul went onto recognise efforts of the committee and the generosity of the following families and companies who kindly supported the club over the last 12 months:
- The Cadoni family from Madison’s Restaurant who are the sponsors of our Coaches and Team Managers tops
- The Corby family and Rare Spares for donations to provide more equipment
- The Portelli family from Meant 2 Be who we work very closely with for supply of our uniforms and club signage
- Hayden Cassar from Radical Rhythm
- The Contin family from Dino’s Denture Clinic
- The Andriuolo family from Palazzo Restaurant m Maribyrnong
- The Mantra Hotel in Tullamarine
- Fisher & Paykel
- Cadbury Schweppes
Paul then highlighted …
Whilst being the largest club within the Broadmeadows Basketball Association, and over 350 junior players, it’s a significant achievement that, we as a club, also average less than 6 clearances a season of players to others clubs. A compelling realisation that the Committee and Club are doing something right.
Before I close, I would like to make extra special note of Fran Baker who is stepping down from the Committee after 4 years of great service. Fran took over the Girls’ Registrar back in 2009 and has whipped it into shape – passing the baton on to Shane Gillard. Unfortunately for us, Fran set a very high standard, to which BBA measures us against. Well done Fran.